Some great progress this week. Evan and his crew of plasterers arrived on Monday and they cracked on with it. Monday afternoon taping of the windows and doors. Tuesday and Wednesday first coat of plaster (scratch coat) on the outside. Everything is now covered on the outside and the tarpaulins could be lifted. Main purpose is to create a breeze for drying of the plaster but it also allows us to have a good look at the plaster. And it looks good.
This will be - is our story of building our new strawbale home. It has been in the make for about two years but in March 2009 we started building. We identified sunny, family friendly, not luxurious but comfortable and environmental friendly as key concepts for the design brief. The home also needed to blend in with its environment and designed to deal with some of the climate conditions - in particular persistent and by times strong north-westerly winds.