Another milestone this week with the arrival of the roof panels. The roof panels are of a "sandwich" construction. The outside steel layer, insulation layer and inner ceiling all in a single package. The total thickness is approximate 15 centimeter. The insulation material is polystyreen. Not that "natural" but sometimes a few concessions are necessary. The panels are tailor made and 11 meter or 4.5 meter. It was a bit of a challenge for the truck driver to get his unit down the driveway. Lifting the panels of the truck also required a special framework to make sure the panels didn't brake up in mid-air.
The builders also progressed with placement of the rafters and the framework for the deck. The macrocarpa beams are starting to smell nice too.
Friday, we reached the highest point with the building. A big crane was hired to lift and place the steel beam spanning the lounge area. The macrocarpa beams for the other parts were also lifted in place. The macrocarpa stud in the kitchen was also placed.
This week some steady progress. The weather has been kind to us and the builders and as a result the framing has gone up for the second floor. It is starting to feel like a house and we are getting a feel for the dimensions. Fingers crossed the weather keeps up and the builders can start with the apex. The ridge beams (see last weeks update) are ready and we are looking forward having them on site.
This will be - is our story of building our new strawbale home. It has been in the make for about two years but in March 2009 we started building. We identified sunny, family friendly, not luxurious but comfortable and environmental friendly as key concepts for the design brief. The home also needed to blend in with its environment and designed to deal with some of the climate conditions - in particular persistent and by times strong north-westerly winds.